Monday, July 20, 2009

Insanity - Day One: Fit Test

Okay, so I just finished the Insanity Fit Test. A few things that I really liked about this test:
  1. The fitness test is actually on a DVD. Shaun will talk you through the test - encouraging you to dig deeper and really eak out whatever extra reps you may have left deep inside of you. I love that he is the one with the stopwatch - giving you the countdown, so you aren't worried about checking the clock yourself. Much different than other programs I have used where you have to push yourself through the fitness test and time yourself, etc.
  2. You get a break (hallelujah) in between each exercise. Just enough to really be able to come down off the heart pounding 1000 bpm, totally out of breath feeling and be ready for the next exercise.
  3. Shaun will demonstrate how to do the exercise... it helps reinforce the proper form and technique. It takes the guess work out of the exercises - unlike other programs, where I have to stare at a series of diagrams and pray that I am not over/under extending during the range of motion.
Now the things that I didn't like about the test:
  1. It makes me very nervous to see what the actual workouts will entail. There were 2 tests that I had to modify to even be able to attempt (the jack push-ups and the oblique planks). I have never been able to do a push-up, no matter how in shape I have been... it surprised me that there was no modification for these exercises (one thing that I LOVE about ChaLean Extreme - there is always at least one cast member doing a modified version of the exercise). I know this is a crazy intense workout, but there needs to be some modification, esp for the females out there whose upper body strength is lacking a bit. (My cardio capacity is pretty good, it is just the darn push-ups!!)
  2. The cast members who do the test along with you are insane machines... seriously - the girl (who I think is the same one in some of the Rockin' Body DVDs, and she is ripped on those) is insane... she even does more reps than the male cast member. In some ways, it is sort of inspiring to hear how many more reps they can punch out after 60 days on the program, but in other respects, they made me feel like I needed to pack my bags now, because they SMOKED me!
  3. Because some of the moves are a but explosive, I feel pressure and pulling (hoping that it is not tearing) on tendons and muscles that have been injured in the distant past. I am hoping that I can get an intense work out without re-injuring myself.
Logging my results here... hoping that I make it to the next fitness test marker within the program!!


Exercise 1: 52
Exercise 2: 41
Exercise 3: 80
Exercise 4: 22
Exercise 5: 7
Exercise 6: 15 - this is not jumping, this is doing the modified version as in CLX
Exercise 7: 12 on the knee push ups
Exercise 8: 16 on knees

No comments:

Post a Comment